Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Keeping it real.

Having productive days where I accomplish things that I set out to do and make time for the things in life that make me happy equals one happy self.
This is the last week of my Andean Pre-Hispanic art class. Honestly, my attention span is beginning to drift in class (I have no idea why, the lectures are never dull) but I'm still absolutely fascinated by the material being presented and, I'm pulling an A+ in the class.
It's strange how the first thing I ever wanted to be when I was a child was an anthropologist, even though I honestly didn't even know what the hell they did or what the hell the word meant. I know it's because there was a picture of Jane Goodall (who is more of a primatologist, no? But there is primate anthropology so I guess that's why they put her under that category.) and she looked so cool. I would just stare at her picture and want to be her. In retrospect, she looks so authentic and true to herself, I think that was what I was initially attracted to. At least, it'd be pretty cool to be attracted to that at such a young age.
The art class is more archaeology and anthropology mixed in with art. Sometimes I can't tell the distinction between the three and the class becomes this beautiful mosaic of the three. I love it. I could study this for the rest of my life. But alas, I'm going to have to stick to making enough money doing something else that I hope I love (I don't want to get into this other topic that I'm uncomfortably hinting at/skirting the issue of; another time, another place), and then with the money, journey over to Peru and see these amazing ruins.
Did you know that if you plop down on a piece of land in Peru (ha! Imagine someone plopping down on land...) and manages to set up a house, with animals, and works the land, the government will just let you have it after a certain number of years? FOR FREE! That's extremely fair I mean, Peru, depending on where you live (and I'm not talking about Lima or the other urban sprawls) is incredibly hard to make a living on so if you can do it, why not?
But if you want to pay and get a legitimate title and live on the beach, it's only $5000.
Sounds like my retirement is calling and I just turned 20.

Yours till I stop dreaming of those prehistoric shores,
Adriana

No comments:

Post a Comment